DR KIT WAYNE CHEW is an Assistant Professor at the School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He obtained his PhD from the University of Nottingham. He is currently an Associate Member in the Institution of Chemical Engineers Malaysia (IChemE), Graduate Engineer registered with the Board of Engineers Malaysia and Graduate Technologist registered with the Malaysia Board of Technologies. His research and technological development interests are in sustainable bioprocess engineering for food and pharmaceutical products, focusing on the utilization of algae biotechnology to develop cost-effective and environmentally friendly methods for the synthesis of functional ingredients. He also works on renewable energy, sustainability, waste management and automation integrated bioprocesses.
Since he started his academic career in 2017, he has received several prestigious awards, including the Top 2% World Top Scientists in The Stanford List 2021-2023, Da Silva Award by SBJ 2023, Green Talents Award 2022, Global IChemE Award for Young Researcher 2020, Winner for the Young Research in IChemE Malaysia Award 2020, YSN-ASM Rising Star Award 2019, Postgraduate Prize Award 2019 and the Vice Chancellor’s Medal 2019. He is PI and co-PI to research projects amounting to more than $500,000. He currently supervises a team of 9 postgraduate members and a total of 7 ongoing FYP projects. Up to now, he has published more than 220 Journal articles and 15 book chapters. His publications have been cited over 8000 times and he has a h-index of 48.
He is now serving as an Editorial Board Member in Environmental Science & Ecotechnology (IF: 12.6), Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering (IF: 6.4), Bioengineered (IF: 4.9), Scientific Reports (IF: 4.6), Molecular Biotechnology (IF: 2.6), Current Nutrition and Food Science (IF: 0.9); Associate Editor in Frontiers in Nanotechnology; Review Editor in Frontiers in Environmental Chemistry, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Frontiers in Energy Research, Frontiers in Horticulture and Frontiers in Marine Science; and Guest Editor in many reputable journals, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Elsevier (IF: 13.6), Environmental Pollution, Elsevier (IF: 8.9), Chemosphere, Elsevier (IF: 8.8), Environmental Technology and Innovation, Elsevier (IF: 7.1), Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Elsevier (IF: 8.0), Bioengineered, Taylor & Francis (IF: 4.9), Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, Elsevier (IF: 4.0), Current Nutrition & Food Science, Bentham Science (IF: 0.9). He is also active in reviewing for more than 50 esteemed journals by Nature, Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, ACS, RSC and Taylor & Francis publishers.
- Food bioprocessing and engineering
- Wastewater bioremediation
- Bioprocesses design and optimization
- Renewable energy production
- Functional bioproducts recovery
- Algae technology
- Food biotechnology
- Waste management
- Bioproducts extraction
- Circular bioeconomy
- Achieving sustainability through green processing and materials
- Producing affordable and quality bioproducts through bioprocessing
- 2022 Assistant Professor, School of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU)
- 2022 Visiting Professor, Wenzhou University, Wenzhou, China
- 2021 Assistant Professor, School of Energy and Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University Malaysia, Malaysia (XMU)
- 2020 Lecturer, School of Energy and Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University Malaysia, XMU
- 2019 Assistant Professor, School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham Malaysia, Malaysia (UNM)
- 2017 Research Associate, Bioseparation Research Group, UNM
- 2017 Researcher, Food and Pharmaceutical Engineering Research Group, UNM
- 2016 Research Assistant, Nanotechnology and Catalysis Research Center, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia
- 2022 – now Treasurer, IChemE Biochemical Engineering Special Interest Group (BESIG), Malaysia.
- 2019 – now Treasurer, Committee, International Bioprocess Society (IBS)